Interesting Facts about Mexico for Kids
Part of Latin America, the official name of Mexico is United Mexican States. Interestingly, this country was named after its capital city, which at that time was destroyed by the Spanish Conquistadors and rebuilt a few years later. An interesting fact about Mexico city is that according to a recently conducted government census, it is among the largest cities in the world and ranks second in population density. The predominant religion is Christianity which comprises approximately 90% of the population. Mexico is located in North America and is the third largest of the Latin American countries. There is a lot more to this country which we will learn through these interesting facts about Mexico.
In the text to follow you will learn more interesting facts about Mexico as well as some fun facts about Mexico for kids. These various interesting facts about Mexico for kids can be referred to, for school assignments.
Interesting Animal Facts
- The national animal of Mexico is the Golden Eagle, however, along with that we have some more information for you in regards to its fauna.
- A very rare species of rabbit known as the volcano rabbit is found in Mexico. Its habitat is restricted to the volcanic belt which runs through this country.
- Îne of the unique facts about Mexico is that the jungles of Mexico is home to the apex predator, the one we all know as the jaguar. It is the largest wildcat in North America and with no known predators.
- Mexico is a haven for bird-watchers. It boasts of over 50 species of hummingbirds and pelicans which are found no where else on Earth. One wonders, as to how can there be so much of animal diversity within a place, and how is it that these animals manage to coexist with one of the densest human populations on Earth.
- In Southern Mexico lies a creature which the Aztecs took to be a transformed version of Xolotl, their God of death and lightening. Also known as the 'water monster' it's a prehistoric, salamander looking creature known as the axolotl.
- Perhaps one of the most amazing feats of endurance, the monarch butterfly is the epitome of stamina and strength. These butterflies migrate and travel hundreds of miles to arrive in the Mexican jungles in the winter season.
Interesting Geographical Facts
Mexico City is situated 19º 24' N and 99º 09' W. Let's now check, in brief, the geographical distribution of the country of Mexico.
- The US and Mexican border is so long that it's considered to be the 2nd largest country border in the world.
- Now we all know what the 'Ring of Fire' is, well Mexico is located in it. The famous San Andreas fault generates multiple earthquakes daily, which are too small to be noticed though.
- One of the few interesting facts about Mexico City is that due to the fact that it is located on an underground water body, it sinks a few inches each year.
Interesting Culinary Facts
Let's now delve into the culinary tastes of this country and see what interesting find we can dig out from the people.
- We would have missed out on some of the sweetest things in life, if it hadn't been for the Mexicans, because they are the ones who gave us chocolate. And to balance that out, they also gave some of the hottest peppers known to man.
- Did you know that hot chocolate was the revered drink of the Aztecs.
- The tomato got its name from the ancient Aztec language.
- Fried grasshoppers are a favorite snack for the people of Oaxaca, a state in the south of Mexico.
- Here's one fun fact about Mexico for you, tequila happens to be the national drink of the nation, which existed even before it became what we know it now as the country of Mexico
Interesting Cultural Facts
According to Mexican history, the people of Mexico descended from the Aztecs and the Mayans. They have a very rich and varied heritage and are known to be hospitable and kind. They are a kind of people who never refuse to lend a helping hand when needed. The following are some interesting Mexico facts with respect to their culture
- One of the interesting facts about Mexico city is its world famous mariachi dance and music style. The word mariachi was earlier used to denote a group of dancers who traveled from place to place performing. The term then took shape into a musical style which is now a very prominent style of music throughout the world. No official event is complete without the request for a 'mariachi'.
- Mexicans have a very strong sense of family. Their whole society revolves around the concept of a strong family bond. The father is the head of the family who makes the decisions for the rest of the family. Even though mothers are highly revered, they still come only second to the father.
- The marigold is considered to be a symbol of death, hence presenting one, will not be taken lightly.
- Even though there are a hundred native American languages, Spanish is the dominant one which lingered on due to the Spanish control of the country.
- The term 'machismo' literally means masculinity, and Mexican men aren't shy in displaying this trait, which at the same time is often accompanied with comments toward women. However this is an accepted thing in Mexico and is not seen as lewd.
Thus, concludes a few brief interesting facts about Mexico and its people. We have tried to compile 5 interesting facts about Mexico for each category in this Buzzle article, so that it becomes easier to distinguish. The land of the Mexicans is truly one of wonder and awe, and will leave both the traveler and the student wanting for more.